FLORIDA OCASP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://flocasp.forumotion.com

OCASP President's Message Empty OCASP President's Message

Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:40 pm
To our esteemed OCASP Members,

I first wanted to express my well wishes to all as we have progressed forward since OCPS has decided to close schools due to the pandemic. It is my hope that all of our families have remained safe and healthy. We want to remember those who are struggling now for those who are sick or lost loved ones due to complications regarding the virus and to those who are struggling with the economic impact of the virus upon our nation and the world. While there are certainly things around us that we cannot control, we can be thankful for the things that we have in our possession and that we can hold. We can be thankful for being still employed, for having the ability to provide for our homes, and for loved ones we can protect. We can be thankful that we are among the finest educational mental health staff in Florida. Among us, there are those who I know I can trust, members who have supported me at work, and fellow psychologists who have carried me when I was down. We, together, make up a system of unrivaled support with the collective mental health knowledge and decades of experience coupled with the most caring, dedicated, multi-talented group of school psychologists in Central Florida.

On April 18, Governor DeSantis and the Florida Department of Education have recommended the closure of all schools in Florida and a continuation of distance learning through the end of the school year. Since the start of the pandemic, there have been many changes to have occurred to keep students and staff safe, such as distance learning, allowing employees to work from home remotely, and the greater adoption of online meetings and conferences. While there is need to restart the economy, future generations will judge us now based on decisions we make to save human life while trying to hold on to our way of life. There are concerns that our way of life will forever change, our work lives will forever change, the lives of our students will forever change. A wise person told me that life is full of change and that we need to focus on today and take life one day at a time. I have been very proud of how everyone has adapted to the current changes, especially our students. We support the decision to keep students safe through the continuation of distance learning.

As we move forward, OCASP members should seek to temper fear of the pandemic with wisdom and to temper desire to reopen with caution. By encouraging and supporting one another and our leadership, both at the school and government levels, to proceed with wisdom and caution, we can best serve our communities, our schools, and our families by saving lives and again preserving our way of life.
Continue to practice being safe and remember to tell someone you love them today.

Elliott Choi, OCASP President Elect
Andrea Hogue, OCASP President, 2019-2020
Kelly Wood, OCASP President, 2018-2019
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum